On May 8, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Randall Reetz <rand...@randallreetz.com> wrote:

If Jerry can pull off an english-like page description interpreter, my eyes are wide open and excited.

What I have always wanted is a browser that goes way beyond "view source", allowing instead an "edit mode" that allows direct manipulation of page elements in vitro. Editing might mean resizing a box or the width of a column simply by dragging it. It might mean typing an english command "bigger font in the title", "no, twice as big as the body text". It might mean talking while dragging "this video should fade to black as it ends".

But a first step is developing the translation semantics that work between the base description protocol (XML, HTML5, PostScript, Flash, what ever) and what people do and say when they want things to change.

I applaud Jerry's effort in this direction!!!!!!

Yes, this indeed seems the direction Jerry and Sarah are headed. And from the early stage indications, quite exciting!

My only frustration is that Rodeo (and other high level solutions) might remove the impetus for RunRev or some xtalk environment to provide a smooth development ramp from the very human xtalk and the very inhuman C and other industry standard binding languages that allow universal publishing to any (or most any) hardware/OS platform. Exporting source in C would allow xtalk developers to work as humans and publish directly to industry standard compilers.

I'm not anymore a frequent visitor of this list, but I can't remember such a feature being asked for in the past. Frankly, I wouldn't want a bunch of converted C code. I certainly wouldn't know what to do with it. The reason I chose Rev is so I wouldn't have to learn C. _______________________________________________