On May 12, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Michael Kann wrote:

As usual, Jim has provided us with a great explanation of how it all fits together. My first question: Why don't you gather up all your posts and put out a book?

I just want to add one small addition. All the popular javascript libraries, jQuery et. al., are popular because they have built-in browser sniffing. Instead of heading to quirksmode.org directly, a person could either use or deconstruct those libraries to find out how to do it.

Mike

I, too, like the JQuery libraries, but the real catch is that development of apps usually requires that the programmer handle specific needs/inconsistencies much sooner than library updates (eg. JQuery) become available. Also, running large libraries when your app only needs a small subset can lead to headaches when conflicts arise. One example of headaches can be seen with WordPress themes and plugins that use PHP libraries written by a variety of authors.

One factor when designing a project is to anticipate all the innovations that mobile/browser implementations will incorporate in the future. This will be a shifting landscape for many years to come. An example will be the Google Android updates. Another example is legacy browsers that do not interpret HTML5.

As far as any book, highly unlikely. My specialty is internet marketing and my two client campaigns consume all of my available time, and will do for the next couple years. The On-Rev server, cgi, php, irev will be integral and essential components of my marketing operation. I am sure I will have multiple accounts and numerous libraries.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas