Alex Tweedly wrote:

I tried to create a tiny sample stack to show the problem, and initially succeeded, but at some point as I tried minor variations, it started working - and now I can't get it to fail again. The time it started working was when I changed
   clone invisible grc "R1"
to simply
   clone grc "R1"
but changing that back didn't cause the problem to recur.

Any ideas ?

Yeah. You've entered the Twilight Zone. Too weird. It shouldn't happen.

Did you mess with the templategraphic at all? That's the only thing I can think of that might have an impact, even though it isn't supposed to.