Bob Sneidar wrote:

> I mean that Dell will not repair your computer beyond the 3 years
> extended warranty, because they have no infrastructure to do that.
> Apple will repair a 10 year old computer if they still have parts,
> as long as you are willing to pay for it...

For their prices I can usually find another local vendor for my out-of-warranty machines.

Then again, I can both save more and learn more doing most repairs myself.

> ...and I happen to live down the street from an Apple store (not
> everyone has that luxury I know).

In my experiences attempting repairs through the Apple store they don't do much in the store, and send most of it out to a remote center which they tell me takes between two and four weeks.

I live near two Apple Stores, and I prefer a local authorized repair center over the Apple store. At this place (Di-No in Pasadena) they make appointments, order the parts, and you only bring in your machine when the parts arrive to bring your downtown as close to zero as possible.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World