Yes, matter of fact I did just recently. Turned out to be a data problem in my application which didn't manifest itself in the IDE but caused big performance problems in the standalone. The only way I could track it down was to keep trying things/writing messages to a debug log, re-building a standalone, and testing the standalone many times until I found the problem. I would have never have found the problem without building a standalone and testing it. I guess the experience is what made me so conscious of the standalone startup delay. (Terry - thanks for the "player" suggestion - that sounds good but wouldn't have helped in this situation

This whole suggestion of using only the IDE is very puzzling to me. Yes, I am writing apps for my own use but I'm a retired programmer and unless things have changed mightily since I was getting paid to write code, there's a strong need to separate development, QA, and live versions of code, not just for the integrity of the code but of the data as well. Rightly or wrongly, I think of the IDE as my development environment and the standalone as my QA/live environment. My apps were written so they determine what files to use and whether to do certain things or not based on whether they are running in the IDE or as a standalone. I even have my own "compile" function that sets up various custom properties than enable the standalone to work more efficiently.

I'll repeat again what I said in one of my earlier posts - I love working with LiveCode, it;s a great development tool, but I just don;t think it's good practice to subject the user to arbitrary delays when running perfectly legal copies of software.

Pete Haworth