Animated GIF images seem to cause more trouble than they are worth with
Livecode:

- turning the clock back -

Animations were effected in Hypercard by running through a series of cards.

A method I have used is by having a Button where I want the animation to be and setting the icon to a series of images. If one opens an animated GIF with Quicktime one can export the series of frames as individual images which can then be imported into a stack, stored off-screen, and called as icons for a button. Although a series of images will involves a RAM overhead in comparison with an animated GIF that is hardly relevant
when people look at you askance if your computer has less that a Gig of RAM.