Perfect. That is exactly what I wanted. And it is very simple too. Thanks to the others for their suggestions too.

Bill Vlahos

On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 01:33 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

I have a field in which the itemDelimiter is numToChar(255) instead
of return. This allows me to have items with multiple paragraphs in
the same item.

Items can always have paragraphs in them. Items don't end until either the next item delimiter is encountered or the text runs out. If the itemDelimiter isn't a return character, then many paragraphs can be part of the same item.

How can I get the item number when a user clicks on the field? The clickLine correctly returns the line number but that doesn't tell me
what item it is. What I want is a clickItem function which doesn't
exist (or at least I can't find it).

Like this:

  get the clickChunk
  set the itemdelimiter to numToChar(255)
  put the number of items in char 1 to (word 2 of it) of fld <fldName>

Note that the clickChunk will return 0 if the user clicks in the empty space after the text.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay