I'm writing an application that could be exposed to file system based viruses due to the nature of how it will be used. I'd like to minimize the risk to users.

I doubt there is any way I can prevent the standalone or stacks from being infected because that is a function of the cleanliness of the Windows computer it will be on (there is virtually no risk for Mac and Linux users).

If I can't prevent an infection (please let me know if I'm wrong), I would like to be able to detect and report a possible infection to the user. I was thinking along the lines that since a standalone app can't be modified, either checking the modification date and/or checksum size at launch might be a good way to detect any changes.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say. Has anyone had any experiences with infected standalones or stacks?

Bill Vlahos