Hi James,

For various reasons, it's not a good idea to use the 'repeat while the mouse is down' or even 'mouseStillDown' (check the archives as there's a lot of info on it)

I think you're better doing something like:

local lMouseIsDown

on mouseDown
 put true into lMouseIsDown
 send "doRepeat" to me in 30 milliseconds
end mouseDown

on doRepeat
 if lMouseIsDown then
    -->DO STUFF HERE
    send "doRepeat" to me in 30 milliseconds
 end if
end doRepeat

on mouseUp
 mouseRelease
end mouseUp

on mouseRelease
 put false into lMouseIsDown
 --> DO MOUSE IS UP STUFF
end mouseRelease

James Spencer wrote:
I've got a button which, when it is pressed and held, I want to do some things (brief and repetitive) and then do some other things once it is released. I've got handlers in the button script:

on mouseDown
    repeat while the mouse is down
        -- do stuff repeatedly while mouse is down
    end repeat
    -- do some quick cleanup code before exiting
end mouseDown

on mouseUp
    -- do stuff now that the button as been released
end mouseUp