Hi List,

inspired by the "erratic screen updates (was Slow screen lock/unlock)" Thread I´m starting a new one. :-)

I would like to find as much information on the machine a stack runs on as possible. I´m especially interested in:

-amount of RAM
-processor type
-video card type
-video card Ram
-free HD space

I *guess* it should be possible to retrieve that data using the shell on OsX / Linux / Unix and XP, but I have not too many ideas how to go about it.
The first wild guess for OsX would be to

get shell(dmesg) and walk through each line of it to retrieve information. Any thoughts for the other platforms and a better way for OsX?

Cheers,

Malte

Exactly the stuff I suggested the Gestalt (or SystemGestalt) function for. But that of course does not help you now.

Robert