Roger Guay wrote:

I have 6 list fields side-by-side each with the same number of lines, with synchronized scrolling and synchronized hilitedLines. Is there an easy way to sort the first field and have the data in the other fields follow the sort. That is to sort the whole group on the first field?

Seems like there should be an easy way, doesn't it :-)

but I couldn't think of one when I did something similar recently - here's what I came up with is (with 3 fields to save me typing)

set the itemDel to TAB
put 0 into ct
put empty into temp
repeat for each line L in field "F1"
put L & TAB & line ct of field "F2" & TAB & line ct of field "F3" & cr after temp
add 1 to ct
end repeat
sort temp
put empty into field "F1"
put empty into field "F2"
put empty into field "F3"
repeat for each line L in temp
put item 1 of L & cr after field "F1"
put item 2 of L & cr after field "F2"
put item 3 of L & cr after field "F3"
end repeat

Note - it would be faster to copy the whole of each field into a variable before doing something like the above - then copying the whole variable back at the end; only worth it if these are very large fields.

-- Alex Tweedly http://www.tweedly.net