As a complete beginner with Revolution I’ve found it very hard to get a grip
on this. It’s a big stumbling block for those used to Hypercard, where the
IDE was taken for granted, and the concept of a standalone was unfamiliar.
But the ability to deliver standalones cross-platform is a major attraction
of Revolution – so it’s disappointing that such a key feature as how to save
user changes to a stack is hard to grasp.

I can understand that a standalone is an application, and as such shouldn’t
modify itself – i.e. the user can’t save any changes within the application

If you check the box in the Stacks section of Standalone settings that says "Move substacks into individual stackfiles" then you will be able to save all but the mainStack.

This is why people often make the mainStack a splash screen that does nothing except open one of the save-able sub stacks.

HTH,
Sarah