On Aug 2, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Just as I'd heard from Punxatawny Phil, the Prognosticator of Prognosticators, Apple is finally joining the rest of the industry in shipping a multi-button mouse for its customers:

New Mouse for Macs Has Multiple Buttons
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ apple_s_new_mouse;_ylt=As1C3mk3YMOhH9.n16yV7fYDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04N W9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl>

It's not a multi-button mouse, it's a zero button mouse!!! :D less is more!!!!

(it uses a touch sensor and it has a internal speaker for sound feedback... clever ain't it. Tech is derived from iPod scroll wheel tech.)

Cheers
andre

PS: I want one!

While somewhat trivial, this says two great things for us multi- platform developers:

1. We're now more motivated than ever to implement extensive right- click menus throughout our apps. These are often overlooked by Mac developers, but are a critical part of the Windows user experience and implementing them thoroughly in many case will raise the perceived professionalism of your Windows releases and increase sales.

2. Any time Apple moves beyond the old symptoms of NIH Syndrome and plays nice with the rest of the industry they should be applauded, as it makes our work as software designers much simpler. This is a healthy sign of organizational maturity, a clear acknowledgement that the industry and their audience has become more sophisticaed with mouse use since 1984.

First MacTel, now multi-button mice. Now if only Windows would follow suit and correct the positions of their dialog box buttons we'd all be in platform-independence heaven. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal