Dave,

it's just a mistake, see that when you put the long name of a control into a var, that variable also contains the type of control, it's a complete reference. for example, on a newly created stack, the long name of card 1 returns:

card id 1002 of stack "Untitled 1"

So if you put the long name of a control into a variable, when you're using it, you don't need the control kind, so your example should be:

put the long name of card 1 into myCardName
put the name of control 1 of myCardName ....

See?

Cheers
andre