The current discussion about open source and commercial software and their attendant business models reminded me of an historical artifact I decided had some potential interest and value here. I'll share it briefly; if you're interested in pursuing it further, I'd be happy to participate.

Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's -- a couple of millennia ago by computer standards, I know -- there was a company in Oakland, CA, called MaxThink run by a very cool guy named Neil Larson. (The company's Web site is still online at www.maxthink.biz but I don't know if they're still doing business.) Their primary product was called, oddly enough, MaxThink. It was an outliner on steroids. It ran only on DOS. It sold for something like $50. And I was addicted to it. IT did some things that as far as I know no outliner today approaches yet.

Neil promoted his products (he had a couple of other titles that were also very useful that I also bought, as I recall for less than $50 each) through a wildly entertaining and outrageously opinionated newsletter that came by snail mail every month (this pre-dates the Web, of course).

This is the trick. Every 2-3 months, Neil would introduce a new add- on or upgrade for his products. These would generally be relatively inexpensive (again, memory tells me they were under $20 each as a rule) and would be such wonderful additions to the main product or improvements on it that you just couldn't see a reason to say no.

Well, one time my company applied for a line of credit at a local bank and among other things they asked for an inventory of all the software we owned. I was stunned to find that MaxThink had, over the space of something like 2-1/2 or 3 years, gotten more of my money than Bill Gates had managed. If you'd asked me, I'd have said the MaxThink software was near the bottom of the paid value list of software we owned but it was at the absolute top.

Subscription models -- which didn't exist then, of course -- that offer, for a relatively low-priced product like Constellation or even a moderately low priced product like Revolution, enhancements, updates and add-ons at small incremental charges (encompassed in the subscription but available for extra fees for non-subscribers) seems to me to have the best promise for a solid business model for software, especially for developers and hard-core users. And I think the MaxThink model proves that point.

I'll now return you to your regularly scheduled messaging.