David;

I read a little about the benefits of using MVC but I had a little trouble mapping that paradigm to Rev. One of the major issues wasn't really Rev related but really needed to be thought through and I came up blank and confused. I want to store as much business logic as I could in the main storage platform which is PostgreSQL as stored procedures and triggers. I also want the flexibility to use SQLite on the desktop so I have to be able to have it in the controller????

How do I use Rev, local desktop SQLite and PostgreSQL and PostgreSQL stored procedures and triggers?

I just thought that you may have worked this kind of thing out.

I really would like to use MVC if I can because I am on the brink of a LARGE project that needs to last a long time and go through a lot of contortions by many different programmers over it's lifetime. We are a non-profit and I am "converting" an old FoxPro for DOS system that was started in the 80s (and still runs in a DOS window... on a 50 user network with some data access provided to 5 other offices across the state.

Dave

David Bovill wrote:

I think it should work fine - have not stress tested the approach yet - but it is what I use (custom properties linking the index to the structured text files).

I have just started using an MVC (model view controller) architecture for all my Rev apps - which has been a lot of work figuring out how best to do it. What this allows you to do is change the way you store your data very easily - so you can opt for using custom properties as your data model, text files, or a database. So far i am quite impressed how the MVC architecture helps structure your work - especially if you are looking at creating generic components.