Greetings,

As Jacque recently mentioned, RR is inconsistent in the way it copes with dates and times, when interpreting, sorting or converting values. How true!

As far as I can tell, the IDE will appear to sort datetime or convert from one dateTime format to another, without producing an error message, regardless of the value in question. It will do so in cases where the value is almost, but not quite completely unlike a date or a time. If the IDE cannot understand the value as a date or time, it sorts as if the value were alphanumeric, or ignores the convert command.

In addition, it will report a value is a date, but then refuse to recognize the same value as a date when converting or sorting.

Try this:

on mouseUp
  put "      11/24/96" into var1
  answer (var1 is a date)
  convert var1 to seconds
  answer the result
  answer var1
end mouseUp

At least on my machine and version, the IDE reports the value is a date, but then refuses to convert it, or converts it incorrectly. The result is empty.

This example even stranger:

on mouseUp
  put "         11/24/96" & cr & "avfdt" into var1
  answer (var1 is a date)
  convert var1 to seconds
  answer the result
  answer var1
end mouseUp

The IDE says the value in the second example is also a number, but it ignores the same leading spaces AND the second line, AND correctly converts the first line, leading spaces and all, to seconds! The result is still empty.

The second example suggests a handy hack if you want to force the IDE to correctly interpret certain badly formatted dates or times. Just ad a cr and some nonsense characters in the second line. I'm mostly joking...

Maybe this is all as it must be, for obscure reasons. Still, it seems to me the user needs a break here. A small and likely easy step would be for the IDE to give the user a result, if the user cares to take advantage of it. "Ambiguous dateTime value" other such words might be helpful in some cases. "Value not in dateTime format" and "value contains multiple lines" are other possibilities.

The IDE seems to be making these determinations anyway, but not reporting them.

Is this is a bad idea?

Cheers,

Tim