Of course this script wipes out the entire crontab replacing it with a single entry... (!) so beware if you have lots of jobs set up with something like CronniX (an excellent, very easy to use OSX cron utility... freeware)

It should not take much to whip up a little Rev GUI to handle a multi-line file though...

I like to use voice reminders:

like this

/Users/katir/Documents/scripts/goForAWalk.sh

#!/bin/sh
NOW=`date +%H:%M`
say "Please. It's $NOW You have been sitting for an hour. Get up and go for a walk."

But I thought cron was deprecated on OSX and that we would have to start eating launchD for this kind of thing in the future?

Ken, thanks for that script. I can leave CronniX behind now and move this stuff into my rev PIM... I've just been thinking about this recently... but i could make the leap between the cmd line and the rev script...if all it is is managing a single text file of cron tab lines and then loading with a shell cmd ... that's really 'too easy!" :-)

Sivakatirswami

on mouseUp
  put "~/myRemindercron" into tCronFile
  put format("*\t*/1\t*\t*\t*\t") & \
"/Users/katir/Documents/scripts/goForAWalk.sh" & numToChar(10) into tCronData
  put tCronData into url("binfile:" & tCronFile)
  get shell("crontab ~/myRemindercron")
  if it <> "" then
    answer error it titled "Cron Status"
  else
    answer "Get up reminder set for every hour." titled "Cron Status"
  end if
  delete file tCronFile
end mouseUp