Richard, et al:

I think we've seen in this thread enough evidence that IF you're using USB 2.0 and IF you have one of the most recent Flash drives, the speed difference is negligible.

Here are my results, timed by stopwatch & repeated twice, from the second mouse click on the 91+ MB app to the first appearance on screen:

Platform-- TCP/Win XP USB 2.0 Apple Powerbook/Mac OSX USB 1(?*)

Internal Drive--                10 sec                                  8 sec
Jump Drive (USB) 19 sec 1 min, 50 seconds
Firewire Ext. CD        38 sec
Internal CD                                                     1 min

* Apple system profiler rates the USB port at "up to 12MB/sec", yet actual performance is worse than the internal CD (.83 MB/sec).

To me the key then becomes what per centage of users don't have USB 2.0...unless you have a song & dance ready to distract them for two minutes. :{`)

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company

from "The Triple Foole" by John Donne (1572-1631) _______________________________________________