Roger.E.Eller wrote:
Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:
All that said, looking back, I've found these type of decisions were
made best not in a vaccuum, but with the help of trusted advisors. At
Human Code we had a board of directors, which met each quarter and
frequently offered different and valuable advice utilizing other's
experiences and perspectives, which helped me as CEO, make good
decisions.
I fully agree with this approach. It makes for a win/win situation for both the company as well as the established customer base. As a matter of fact, our company utilizes a certain high-end system that is internationally respected in the industry. Each year, a group of end-users and management attends an event which allows us direct access to the developers of our chosen system. The users sit down and voice their concerns, problems, bugs, feature requests, etc. to the entire group of developers and leaders of this company. We even vote on what is most important, and user opinion actually carries more weight than anything else. After all, the customer is always right. It's like bugzilla, but without the clunky interface, and you leave the event knowing that your votes and input have made a real difference in the direction of the product.

Bugzilla's useful in a very broad way, but I agree there's no substitute for direct interaction.

This practice isn't limited to high-end products: nearly every vendor I've worked with, both bigger and smaller than RunRev, has some sort of advisory board comprised of key customers with a demonstrated stake in the product's growth.

I've been doing this myself with each of the products I manage, hand-picking about a dozen power users and providing a venue for candid feedback. Not all of it's flattering, and I like it that way: flattery feels good, but it's less instructive than good criticism.

I actively encourage all of my customers to email, or even call my toll-free number, and feel free to gripe to their heart's content. Some of them express surprise at my receptivity, but I tell them it's really the only way I can truly understand how others rely on my products.

Since I started this practice sales are up, support costs are waaaay below industry averages, and my forum is filled with generally appreciative and happy comments as people see the product moving in a direction consistent with their needs.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation