On Apr 13, 2006, at 2:23 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

Devin-

Thursday, April 13, 2006, 8:24:33 AM, you wrote:

...you only need to pass editMode if you need to set the real custom
property and want to query it later on.

By 'set the real custom property' do you mean actually changing the
custom prop's value? Wouldn't you want to go ahead and set it in most
cases, except when you are intercepting an illegal value, for instance?

Sometimes I do, sometimes not. As a ferinstance, in your example do
you really need to query the "editMode" state later on? If not, then
you don't need to set the actual custom property - the other commands
take care of setting the visual and functional effects. Sometimes this
is all I need to do and then the setProp handler becomes a mechanism
for triggering events happening in a control.

Actually, in this case I needed to set the custom prop because I want to be able to check the state in other handlers. That's how I tend to use my custom Props, so never really considered that you might not actually want to change the value.

devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University