Sarah,

It is my experience that if a preference area holds selection options for a particular tool or aspect of a document then "Options" is used as a preference menu item. Microsoft Word uses a "Properties" menu for the document properties and an "Options" menu for Tool settings.

Revolution uses Edit Menu - Preferences

Both MS Office and Revolution use File - Exit and not Quit.

I have seen many other configurations but these seem standard.

Tom