On May 22, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Andre Garzia wrote:

I could use a box-like approach as used by Dar Scott to generate strings that could hold multiple values. but this would add new API to my supposed-to-be easy module.

The boxes module does handle arrays with arbitrary values in both the keys and in elements; it does not require a couple of reserved characters for flattening. (Note: some arbitrary values are not valid keys, though, for example, keys can't have NULs.)

You can take some of those ideas.

Hide the whole thing with some wrapper in your API, so the format is not visible.

For the future, we might ask RunRev for a canonical string version of any array, even one with numbers or binary data or (future) subarrays or Unicode. This would allow for array literals. We can even pretend that all arrays are strings but somehow operations are fast.

Dar