Rand,

My experience was similar with regard to choosing a mic input. I just decided to always use the default input and set the input using the system prefs rather than Rev.

I put together a "sandbox" stack that allows me to play with all the recording settings. If you want to look at it enter into your message box:

go stack url "http://revolution.byu.edu/stacksRecordingToolbox.rev";

Warning: this was written on my OS X box and uses some shell calls, so if you want to try it on windows, you'll have to change or comment those out.

Some of it's a little rough, but it might help you figure some things out.

Devin