Trevor,
sims has already mentioned dropDMG, which I use as well. The manual method is to place the image you want to use in the .dmg window. Then choose "Show View Options" from under the "View" menu in the Finder. You can set the background picture from there. To tidy up, I make the image I'm using invisible after setting it as the background although you could obscure its location in other ways.

-Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust !)
web     http://elementarysoftware.com/