Thanks again Ray!

My stack has a
windowShape (basically a rectangle with rounded corners used to avoid
the standard controls), and when I lose that windowShape, your
suggestions either worked perfectly (visual effect) or were no longer
necessary (field insertion point.) And if I set the stack to no shape
and set the decorations to empty, the fields and effects still work!

So the new question is can a stack with a windowShape work properly
in Windows?  No mention in the docs about fields and visual effects
not working in stacks with windowShape.  I haven't tested it yet, but
my guess the shape also has to do with "move" not working well.  Any
ideas or experience with this?

Sounds like a bug to me... having a unique windowShape shouldn't affect whether a field gets a displayable insertion point or not, nor should it
affect how object-based visual effects are implemented.

After further fooling around, I think it must be a bug. I have created new duplicate stacks from scratch and the result is the same. With a unique windowShape, the built in visual effects are sporadic and buggy and I definitely can't get the insertion point blinking i-beam!

By not using the windowShape I can get around some of my problems in a way that I am at least satisfied, but not others. Is there, for example, a way to get around the standard Windows closeStack dialog when the close window button is clicked? So far I have tried

on closeStack
  do this
  do that
end closeStack

but I just get the standard Windows close dialog.

Looking in Bugzilla, it appears that a report was made about visual effects being broken with windowshape windows in OS X (Bug #3274), but this was reported as fixed in 2.7. Perhaps the problem was also in Windows and not
reported there?

And there is no entry AFAICT about the loss of an insertion point in
windowShaped windows.

So Lars, it sounds like you should create a couple of bug entries in
Bugzilla... if you haven't done that before, contact me offlist and I'll
tell you how.

Klaus already taught me this about 18 months ago and I think I can find his instructions again, but I am wondering whether this is worthwhile. I am using 2.6 and will probably not get 2.7 for quite a while. I have no idea whether this problem exists in 2.7, and when I check for updates, it only says 2.7 is available for download, leading me to believe that should this still be a bug, it would not be fixed in 2.6. I mean there must be countless bug fixes since I bought 2.6, but there are no updates for 2.6. And again, I can't possibly know if this works in 2.7 and would be wasting the bug fixers valuable time by reporting it.

What to do?

Cheers,

Lars