I get all tense and impatient during chat, waiting for people to
type, and wishing I hadn't joined the chat. One can't really do
anything else during a chat session.

A whiteboard or video image during chat adds a lot of value to a chat
session. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Good to see you are optimistic and expect to have a lot of persons to join ;-). I kind of agree. Once there are more than 3 persons text chats can be cumbersome. Voice chats are faster. Still, voice chats with more than 5 are a bit unpractical.

The chore idea, however, is to have a regular meeting. That is an arranged time where we expect to meet others and discuss. The fact there is a meeting planned often force to think of content for that meeting. Which generates more discussion than if persons are free to post whenever they want.

What you describe, video image... a teacher friend of mine told me about such a software (PC only unfortunately). I forgot the details... I will have to get back to her.

Let's start with an easy question. Let's forget about technology for now.

Would teachers/educators/academics on this list be interested in regular meetings? Is there some need to have subgroups like primary/ secondary/higher education. Are there persons interested in special areas like special needs, ICT & learning to program, science, history/ geography, etc?

What about organizing at least a first meeting (chat or any other means) where educators can introduce themselves to one another so we know names and interests?

What are the views of other users on this?

Marielle