With textsize 18 and 24, plain style (white text on coloured background) I would recommend my users to turn on Clear type Textcolor 100,100,100 (greyish black), textstyle bold, textsize 13 and 14 may appear a little too hard/dark with Clear type on.

Resolution 1280x1024: It does not matter whether Clear type or Standard or none is used.

SIgne Marie Sanne

Den 12. apr. 2007 kl. 15:06 skrev Tiemo Hollmann TB:

As a Windows user I didn't even know about the cleartype option. I just gave it a try and must say, I switched it off immediately, though I have a flat panel. I don't know if it is because I am used over the years to "standard" display option, but with clear type the fonts look soo smooth and shadowy,
that I took my glasses, because it didn't looked sharp any more.

Just to give you my two cents ;-)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:use-revolution-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im Auftrag von Bill Marriott
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. April 2007 14:54
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Re: Ugly fonts

Signe Marie Sanne,

Now I wonder: When a new computer is delivered to a private user, will the box with Clear type be default setting, or is it just Standard that
is the default? Is the resolution 1280x1024 now used as  default?

It all depends on the particular OEM.

ClearType was specifically developed for LCD displays, and some people do not find it helpful when using a CRT-style display. As LCDs have fallen in price and improved in quality, almost all new systems ship with LCDs. And
of
course notebooks use LCDs as well. So, the smart OEM will probably ship
with
ClearType on by default.

The last time I purchased a retail standalone copy of XP Professional, the Standard method was enabled by default. This could easily be different
now,
as Microsoft tweaks things over time.

The standard resolutions also depend on the display shipped with the
system.
Usually its set to whatever the native resolution of the LCD happens to
be.

Having said all of that, I tried distributing a standalone some time ago that looked much better with ClearType activated. I found that most users did NOT have this option turned on. I tried to use a registry hack to turn
it on for them, but either I didn't know what I was doing, or some
additional step was needed besides updating the registry. So I ended up
just
providing instructions for people to do this on their own.

Even with ClearType turned on, Windows fonts appear thinner, overall, than
Mac ones. This is partly due to font metrics on the two systems, and
partly
because Macs use a "darker" smoothing algorithm than PCs.

- Bill