On 20/05/07, Shao Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.. I too attempted to use a
"private command" with parameters passed by reference and was just
given a 417 as well (see above for the joke)

Have you filed it as a bug report - can't see it.

I also came across another problem with the new "private command"
feature and have detailed it in bug report 4997, but the basic gist
of it is you can't use "private commands" for socket callback
messages which is too bad because those are basically the ones I
personally want to hide from the public API of the libraries *sigh*

Yes. Same here there are two types of handlers that i use often which are of
no use to anyone except as a "private" handler that is repeatedly called by
one or more functions:

   1) A handler that needs to return multiple values - like a line parser

   2) A recursive handler that have params that are internal to its
recursive nature

Both of these need to use call-by-reference handlers - and both want to be
private handlers. It looks as if by some strange coincidence the handlers
that actually need to be private can't - maybe there will be way round it.