On Jun 7, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Just to clarify, Ruby on Rails (I assume that is what you are referring to when you mention 37Signals) is a framework built for an already existing development language.

I believe Ruby itself is also open source, governed by the LGPL.

Yes it is.

Someone could make an open source web application framework in Revolution and would be doing the same thing as 37Signals in this regard, though the underlying language would not be open source.

Agreed; Andre's done some great work toward that end.

Yes he has.

And since the engine remains free for CGI use, the differences for most folks are pretty minor.

In it's current state I don't believe Revolution can be a major contender in the web space. See my remarks to David concerning the language. Now, if we had a more extensible language then I believe you could combine the Revolution development environment with a Revolution web framework to create some incredible solutions.

But personally I don't think the Revolution language is mature enough yet to venture down this road. The language is not extensible so the beauty of the Revolution syntax breaks the moment you write functionality not included in the engine.

On the one hand, we could ask whether we might get to that sort of seamless extensibility (SuperCard's Internals Toolbox had it in 1994) more quickly if we had multiple programmers working on it via an open source process.

But then on the other hand I can't find two more volunteers to do some pretty lightweight scripting on the MC IDE, so maybe not. ;)

My feeling is that the core language has to be designed first and then you can start getting community involvement. I think that individuals or small groups are more efficient at designing something that communities can then take and build upon. Give us an extensible language and lots of things can happen.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems