It's possible but complicated. I don't know if you need a document readable by something else, but if it's all to be saved and loaded by your app, it can be done.

I've experimented with with saving all fields and images in a group as text descriptions.

to keep the size down, all images are referenced rather than actually hold image data.

1. I get all the properties of the object into an array, and fix the returns that are in certain properties (like colors) to some other character.
2. Then I flatten the array to a list with combine.
3. Base64Encode the list
4. Replace the returns in the Base64 encoded list with linefeeds
5. this results in a single line
6 Add a key identifying what the object is (field, image, etc) & tab and then the data
7. Build the list with other objects, one per line
8. save as a single text file. This will be very small.

By saving all the properties, you are also saving the HTMLtext and rect information. If the images have been resized, you also may have to save a line of actual rects and resize upon expanding.

On expanding, all the fields and images are recreated and the saved properties expanded (reverse of above) and applied to the created objects, and they will be arranged exactly as you saved them. The Base64 encoded text does not have to have the returns restored; it reads sections by number of characters, not delimiter.

this former theory has been tested and works. It's also really fast with text fields, images take a little longer to 'decode', but totally acceptable for say, a labeler or something.

sqb

Thanks for your quick answer, as usual.
I've made some testing by saving the field's htmlText , but after that you need to export all the images and it can lead to the creation of a huge number of files. I'd prefered saving all in a rtf, but here I don't know how to do it. Do you you if something like that is possible?

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o