Hi, J.

I assume your clients want to do this like we used to with Hypercard, sharing a single stack. Are they trying to save per-seat charges, by saying that one user at a time is good enough?

How about, as I've mentioned, a splash screen standalone at each seat to do the local authentication? And do something at the remote served stack level that allows only x users at a time... they won't be able to run the stack alone without an IDE and knowing the way in. Is the client having an IDE a concern?

That's the conclusion I've come to after thinking about this all day. But keeping a file on the server pretty much ruins the copy protection. All anyone has to do is copy the program and its data files, and then it will work when accessed from another computer -- even if the "server" that holds the copied app isn't registered. The client will think it is.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o