It's actually correct to do it how it is today.
Insertion date does not matter, what matters is the time after tombstones
are supposed to be deleted.
If the delete got to all nodes, sure, no problem, but if any of the nodes
didn't get the delete, and you would get rid of the tombstones before
running a repair, you might have nodes that still has that data.
Then following a repair, that data will be copied to other replicas, and
that data you thought you deleted, will be brought back to life.