Not sure I understand _exactly_ what you want, so just in case:

Did you try

<typeHandler javaType="MyTpe" callback="MyTypeHandler"/>

It works very well for me (as long as you have defined a TypeHandler for a specific class type of your own).

It is documented in the wiki:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/IBATIS/How+do+I+use+a+Custom+Type+Handler+with+complex+property+or+Type+Safe+Enumeration%3F

Cheers

            Jean-Francois