Seems like my question was quite confusing, so I'll try to explain what
I need once again from scratch.

1. I need to process a potentially huge number of rows (so
queryForList(query) is not an option because it would try to load all
objects into memory at once).

2. I need to control the iteration over the query results, so I can't
use queryWithRowHandler (in this case iBATIS iterates and I only tell
iBATIS how each record should be processed - I need to be able to ask
iBATIS for the next record instead - it is the internal vs. external
iterator difference, or SAX vs. StAX in case of XML processing or how
collections are typically iterated in ruby/groovy vs. Java or ... you
name it). Simply framework iterates, iBATIS knows the query and must
provide next record when it is asked for it.

First approach:
It is possible to implement these requirements by using
queryForList(query, skipSize, maxSize) and  query the database
TOTAL_ROW_COUNT / maxSize times (issuing a new query when records from
current list have been processed - this is invisible to the user
(framework) who just iteratively asks for next record for processing).

Second approach:
Hibernate allows to get a ScrollableResults object for a query allowing
the user to move the cursor and ask for an object that corresponds to
the current row.

Questions:
1. is the second approach possible with iBATIS?
2. first vs. second approach pros & cons?

Thanks
Robert