Trenton,
Thanks for the input.  As a team we felt that given the fact that Java 5
came out in 2004 we gave the community ample time to upgrade :)  The added
features and performance gains were enough for us to jump.  I think the
right move for us was a minor release increment.

In fact....

J2SE 5.0 entered its
end-of-life<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-life_%28product%29>on
April 8, 2008 and will be unsupported by Sun as of October 30, 2009.

If that is not enough to get your boss's approval they should be fired :)

Nathan