On 01/06/2015 12:45 AM, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Toralf Förster <toralf.foers...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>> IIRC in former times I could assign an UML instance 2047M, but nowadays
>> even 2044M is too big.
>
> This depends on the host side. UML heavily depends on the host memory layout.
> Now with ASLR and such stuff the layout changes and the boarder for
> UML are no longer constant.
> Daniel and I currently hunt down such an issue.
> What exactly happens if your give UML too much memory?

tfoerste@n22 ~ $ start_uml.sh -r trinity
+ /home/tfoerste/devel/linux/linux earlyprintk
ubda=/home/tfoerste/virtual/uml/trinity ubdb=/mnt/ramdisk/trinity_swap
eth0=tuntap,tap0,72:ef:3d:9f:c3:5a mem=2044M con0=fd:0,fd:1 con=pts
umid=uml_trinity rootfstype=ext4 softlockup_all_cpu_backtrace=1
Locating the bottom of the address space ... 0x1000
Locating the top of the address space ... 0xc0000000
Core dump limits :
        soft - 0
        hard - NONE
Checking that ptrace can change system call numbers...OK
Checking syscall emulation patch for ptrace...OK
Checking advanced syscall emulation patch for ptrace...OK
Checking environment variables for a tempdir...none found
Checking if /dev/shm is on tmpfs...OK
Checking PROT_EXEC mmap in /dev/shm...OK
Checking for the skas3 patch in the host:
  - /proc/mm...not found: No such file or directory
  - PTRACE_FAULTINFO...not found
  - PTRACE_LDT...not found
UML running in SKAS0 mode
Adding 12328960 bytes to physical memory to account for exec-shield gap
write: File too large

--
Toralf
pgp key: 7B1A 07F4 EC82 0F90 D4C2  8936 872A E508 0076 E94E