On 27/04/15 08:23, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Anton Ivanov
> <anton.iva...@kot-begemot.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Yay!
>>> BTW: Changing the host's time should also work for testing...

>>> Yep. I have no idea why UML is currently using gettimeofday() as
>>> clocksource,
>>> this is completely bogus. ;-\
>> It is even more bogus than you think - read time.c, it is using itimer
>> on the virtual clock for all timers for extra spice so the timers are
>> dependent on how much cpu it uses at any given time.
> Yep.
>
>> It does not need to be - I wrote a patchset for it to use posix timers
>> and CLOCK_MONOTONIC. It went into Richard's queue ~ a year ago along
>> with an epoll based IRQ controller and some vNIC drivers.
>>
>> Have not heard of it since.
> mea culpa!
> If I forget a patch, just shout at me.
>
> Can you please rebase your patches against 4.1-rc1?

Sure.

I will do my best to sort it out by ~ Tue next week latest. I am working
mostly on opendaylight now so I will have to do it in my free time.

> Such that I can merge them ASAP...

There were several patches in that patchset, I suggest we try to do it
step-by-step - merge only the timer and the epoll controller on first
pass (while they are not dependent, they have not seen extensive testing
separately). This is what I will re-submit as a "first pass".

These are prerequisites for the network interfaces, etc which we can do
later. The last tests I did in my previous job on them were showing >
3GBit/s forwarding rate across a UML instance pinned to a single core
and measured to a remote network device (real forwarding rate on real
network traffic - not moving packets locally on the host).

A.