There is one detail that did not work for me, but it was easy to "fix"
(quotes because I'm not sure it is the best fix). But someone else may
find it useful.

Detailed steps so everyone can compare doing it, if needed:

>  1. get one kernel source package from https://cdn.kernel.org/
>  (I tried these steps with more than one option, searching for the older and
> more stable
>  version; if the results are different for you, try another one; below I
> copied my 4.2.6 try; 3.18 does not have this problem)

>  2. extract it.
$ tar xJf ...
$ cd lin<TAB>

>  3. first step...
$ make defconfig ARCH=um #uml1

*** Default configuration is based on 'x86_64_defconfig'
kernel/time/Kconfig:157:warning: range is invalid
#
# configuration written to .config
#

> That warning is strange. I did not like it. So I just edited that file, and
> changed it! :D hehehe

$ vim kernel/time/Kconfig  # if it spitted a diff for line 157:
-        range 1 NR_CPUS
+       range 1 1

> So, again...
# make defconfig ARCH=um #uml1
*** Default configuration is based on 'x86_64_defconfig'
#
# configuration written to .config
#

> So, assume the next steps have no problem, except that I don't know
> how to make my UML access the Internet... this is in another
> discussion, though

> ... ?
$ make menuconfig ARCH=um #uml2

> Build it
$ make ARCH=um #uml3 uml4 uml5

> Run it now... but where is my Internet? :( hehehehe

$ ./vmlinux # the output name changed!? :P

--
  Balaco

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an