Mark,

You're right, my answer was totally misdirected.

The real reason is that TKey is not very user-friendly is that it is auto
generated from the code in core/src/main/thrift/data.thrift. We don't
intend for these auto-generated classes to be part of the public API. Also,
we don't hand-code them (anymore) to make them  convenient because we are
likely to re-generate them when we upgrade Thrift in the future. Bottom
line: don't use classes that are in a *.thrift package in your client code.

Adam