I agree about Dr. Kepner's class.

The D4M software is open source. Please read the license. The home
page of the software is http://d4m.mit.edu/.

You can use the schema without Matlab. One example is at
https://github.com/medined/D4M_Schema. You could load data using the
techniques from that project then use the D4M software with Matlab or
Octave for analysis. Or simply create your own analysis software.