+1 to Netty. I have used it and like it, but I think you will have to write all
of the code yourself. Nifty (Facebook) could be an option to use Thrift and
Netty together. Finagle (Twitter) would be another alternative.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Christopher" <ctubb...@apache.org>
To: "Accumulo User List" <user@accumulo.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 3:50:45 PM
Subject: Re: thrift versions in accumulo

Well, Thrift serves two purposes for us. It manages the RPC API and
handles the data serialization for the RPC.

Long term, I'd like to look at Netty for handling the API (because it
seems stable, widely used, and feature-rich). I'm not particularly
concerned about the serialization, as long as the library is stable.
Avro makes as much sense to me as any other, but I haven't actually
used it yet, so I'll reserve judgment.

Even if we move away from Thrift in the long-term for the
client/server and server/server RPCs, we'll probably not get rid of it
entirely. It's still pretty useful for the accumulo-proxy. However,
since that's a small, optional add-on, it'd be pretty easy to isolate
thrift to just be a dependency of that... and presumably it'd be easy
to rebuild that add-on component for different thrift versions or to
support multiple versions.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii