Agreed, I came to the same conclusion while implementing.  The final result
that I have is a SortedMapLexicoder to avoid any comparisons going
haywire.  Additionally, would it be best to encode the map as an array of
keys followed by an array of values, or encode all key value pairs
back-to-back:

{ a : 1 , b : 2, c : 3 } encoded as

a1b2c3
-or-
abc123

Feels like I should be encoding a list of keys, then the list of values,
and then concatenating these two encoded byte arrays.  I think the end
solution will be to support both?  I'm having a hard time reconciling which
method is better, if any.  Hard to find some good examples of people who
are sorting a list of maps.