Mike,

For one of the WALs I backed up the recovery directory and that initiated a new recovery attempt as indicated in the tserver debug log...

Then the exception was thrown:

Unable to find recovery files for extent xxxxxx logentry xxxxx hdfs://path/to/wal/yyyy

Any ideas? I figure we can zero out the WAL and it will go on with life but it would be nice to try and get the data!

Thanks!