I'll chime in and say I have been longing for better A&A for Accumulo.  I
think an implementation of the existing A&A interfaces is the way to go.
Christopher is quite right in that such a thing would be a major
investment, but in this day and age I think it's worthwhile.

--
There are ways and there are ways,

Geoffry Roberts