Looking at the log I see that the last two entries are COMPACTION_START of
one RFile immediately followed by a COMPACTION_START of a separate RFile
which (I believe) would lead to the error.  Would this necessarily be an
issue if the compactions are for separate RFiles?

This is a dev cluster and I don't necessarily care about it, but is there a
(good) means to do WAL log surgery?  I imagine I can just chop off bytes
until the log is parseable and missing the info about the compactions.