It is possible to do a rolling upgrade from 1.8.1 to 1.9.2 -- no need to
shut down the whole cluster.  The 1.9 series is effectively a continuation
of the 1.8 line, however some client methods were deprecated which caused
it to be a 1.9 release per the laws of semantic versioning.  If your code
is using the deprecated ClientConfiguration constructors, you'll need to
update to use the new static methods before upgrading to Accumulo 2.x.  See
release notes regarding the deprecated code here:
https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.0/#deprecated-clientconfiguration-api-using-commons-config

Cheers,
--Adam