Frequent compactions can help maintain locality, as can a custom balancer
and volume chooser. However, the impact of more frequent compactions on
query performance and other system metrics would need to be considered.
Achieving optimal locality may not be that important overall.

Side note: your mail client doesn't seem to play nicely with the mailing
lists. It changes the subject line and does not preserve mailing list
header information needed to preserve conversation threads. So each reply
to the list starts a new thread, making it hard to follow. I've seen the
same from other .gov and .mil Outlook OWA email accounts. It's a small
annoyance when it happens infrequently, but becomes unwieldy quickly as
your emails become more frequent or if the conversation generates many
before). I recommend using an alternate email, if you can, that will play
more nicely with the mailing lists, to work around it. Basically, anything
not Outlook will probably work fine.