Just wanted to mention... what we ended up doing was putting HUE onto its
own node (not within HDP cluster), but connected via Ambari Agent.

Not without it challenges but we are now able to run a fairly update to
date version 3.9.0 on RHEL 7. We have also done some work creating a HUE
management pack for Ambari.

*By we I mean mostly not me, so big thanks to co-workers who made possible.