Hey Marc,

You are posting some dev questions to the user thread.  You may not get a
large response posting those questions here.

This is an open source project and well staffed by volunteers.

You can volunteer your time to this project to help fix the pieces of it
that you find frustrating.  Wouldn't we all like more documentation?

Have you considered looking at jira for this project to see what work is
planned?  It might be a good place for you to help contribute.

I do know that Bigtop has done work to create an Ambari  build that runs on
Bigtop not hdp.  You might want to look at that project.  But Bigtop's
documentation isn't any better than what's here so please come willing to
help make it better.

You get more bees with honey than vinegar.